Football is big business and players are treated like kings with heavy salaries as they smile to the bank every weekend.
The premier league is considered the most exciting league in the world and players love plying their trade in Britain but truth be told, the English game pays a lot mostly because of TV rights and huge fan base.
However, Coaches cannot play everyone at their disposal as they have to pick 14 players to execute each game and clubs are compelled to pay the whole 25 squad players due to the contracts signed before the season starts.
According to new research, former Super Eagles forward, Victor Moses is ranked seventh on the list of ten overpaid players in the English Premier League based on the minutes played in the 2018/2019 season.
Moses was paid £66,346 by Chelsea before moving to Turkish side, Fenerbahce on loan. The former Nigeria international logged 26 minutes in total in matches against Huddersfield and Liverpool this term.
Interestingly, Chelsea have been sorely overpaying a number of their first-team stars, based on new data analysing wages compared to playing time. The Blues enjoyed an excellent start to the season under new manager Maurizio Sarri but their form has tailed away of late and the Italian is now under pressure to keep his job.
The former Napoli boss has struggled to implement his preferred philosophy at Stamford Bridge, despite rigidly sticking with a first-choice starting XI at the expense of the remaining squad members.
Research conducted by TheSportsman.com reveals that Victor Moses (now on loan at Fenerbahce), David Zappacosta and Gary Cahill are among the top 10 players who have been earning most per minute of Premier League action.
Moses reportedly earned £75,000-a-week before his switch to Turkey but only played 26 minutes of top-flight action.
When subtracting any wages accrued while out injured, this means Moses clocked up £66,346 per minute of Premier League action.
Zappacosta has been pulling in £101,111 for every 60 seconds on the pitch while Cahill is more over-paid, having been frozen out by Sarri – but which other players are among the most overpaid based on their minutes on the pitch this season?
Top 10 highest paid players per minute of Premier League action:
10. Stefano Okaka (Watford) – £33,409 (Earnt £35,000 a week, played 22 minutes in the Premier League)
9. Sam Gallagher (Southampton) – £50,000 (Earns £40,000 a week, played 8 minutes in the Premier League)
8. Miguel Britos (Watford) – £50,000 (Earns £25,000 a week, played 13 minutes in the Premier League)
7. Victor Moses (Chelsea) – £66,346 (Earnt £75,000 a week, played 26 minutes in the Premier League)
6. Jermaine Defoe (Bournemouth) – £98,759 (Earnt £103,462 a week, played 22 minutes in the Premier League)
5. Davide Zappacosta (Chelsea) – £101,111 (Earns £70,000 a week, played 18 minutes in the Premier League)
4. Gary Cahill (Chelsea) – £123,810 (Earns £100,000 a week, played 21 minutes in the Premier League)
3. Georges-Kevin N’koudou (Tottenham Hotspur) – £218,750 (Earnt £35,000 a week, played 4 minutes in the Premier League)
2. Scott Dann (Crystal Palace) – £480,000 (Earns £60,000 a week, played 1 minute in the Premier League)
1. Pape Souare (Crystal Palace) – £630,000 (Earns £30,000 a week, played 1 minute in the Premier League).