Ekweremadu: Court fixes date to rule in David Ukpo’s application amid alleged organ harvesting
A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, on Tuesday, fixed December 5 for ruling on an application filed by David Ukpo, the kidney donor, seeking the court to set aside its orders made on July 1 and July 6 which gave Ike Ekweremadu, former Deputy Senate President, and wife, Beatrice, access to his biodata.
Justice Inyang Ekwo fixed the date after counsel for parties in the suit adopted their processes and presented their arguments.
NAN reports that Ukpo, through his lawyer, Bamidele Igbinedion, had filed a motion on notice marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/984/202, urging the court to set aside the orders, directing some agencies of government and banks to release his biodata to Ekweremadu and his wife.
Ukpo, who joined the Ekweremadus as applicants/respondents in the motion, also listed the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) (1st respondent) and four others in the application.
Others mentioned in the motion are the Comptroller General (C-G), Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS); United Bank of Africa (UBA), Stanbic-IBTC Bank; and Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System Plc as 2nd to 5th respondents respectively, but the 5th respondent was later dropped form the charge.
Ukpo, who is presently in the United Kingdom in connection with the alleged organ harvesting charge against the Ekweremadus, had said that granting the couple’s request violated his fundamental rights to privacy guaranteed by Section 37 of 1999 Constitution (as amended).
But in a counter affidavit deposed to by Bright Ekweremadu, the immediate younger brother to the former deputy senate President, the applicants revealed that Ukpo wasn’t entitled to the reliefs sought as the law doesn’t permit such.
The counter affidavit was dated and filed on September 8 by their counsel, Adegboyega Awomolo, SAN.
In a 20-point argument, Bright averred that though the court gave its ruling on July 1, Ukpo’s right to fair hearing wasn’t breached.
According to him, the documents which were released by the agencies and banks upon the orders of the court had been transmitted to the United Kingdom and had been “tendered at the Uxbridge Magistrate Court, and at the Central Criminal Court in the United Kingdom and have subsequently formed part of the record of the courts.”
At the resumed hearing on Tuesday, Eyitayo Falogun, SAN, who appeared for the Ekweremadus, adopted his applications and urged the court to dismiss Ukpo’s request.
He said he was aware that a coalition of civil society organisations under the auspices of the Edo Civil Society Organisation (EDOSCO), initiated the motion on Ukpo’s behalf.
Falogun, who called the attention of the court to Upko’s motion, described EDOSCO as “a meddlesome interloper.”
Muazu Dikwa, lawyer to NIMC, argued that the orders made by court on July 1 and July 6 were in line with Section 2.11 of the National Data Protection Regulation (NDPR), 2019.
According to him, the regulation says that every transmission of data to a foreign land shall be done under the supervision of the Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF).
He, therefore, prayed the court to dismiss Ukpo’s application.
The lawyer prayed the court to give the reliefs sought and reverse the orders.
Justice Ekwo adjourned the matter until December 5 for ruling.
Source – Daily Post
Tinubu’s presidency will benefit Igbo people – Orji Kalu
The Senate Chief Whip, Sen. Orji Kalu says the people of South-East extraction would be the most beneficiary of Bola Tinubu`s Presidency if he wins in 2023.
Kalu who said this in Abuja on Tuesday while addressing newsmen, said because the All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential candidate was a strategist.
“Let me be honest with you, we were governors together, he is a strategist, he will make the presidency benefit the Igbos.
“The Igbo people are going to be the biggest beneficiary of Tinubu’s presidency and you will see it. Hold me responsible”, he said.
He said that he was not against a president of Igbo extraction, adding that becoming Nigeria’s president was not a regional issue.
Kalu said “I have no problem with an Ibo man becoming president, but we have to do it with other Nigerians.
“If you don’t do it with other Nigerians, it’s not going to work, no matter how popular you are, this is president of Nigeria not the president of Igbo land.
“Mind you, I am an Ibo man to the core, I am also a Nigerian to the core and nobody can take that away from me.
“If anyone is to be nominated as president of Igbo extraction, I could have been the one, but I see it not feasible yet,“ he said.
“This is a party business, I have no business of whoever is running, for me it is not personal, but it is political and a party affair.
“It is about a party winning election, I have chosen to be in APC so why should I vote against Bola Tinubu, it is madness and I am not going to do it.
“It is the party you belong to that you will deliver, we will wait for another time to see how Nigerians will agree to zone the presidency to the east.
“But for now our presidential candidate is Bola Ahmed Tinubu and I will vote for him,“he said.
Kalu urged everyone who ran with Tinubu at the primaries to come together and deliver the party.
Source – Vanguard/NAN
Eight die in Kaduna road accident
A Volkswagen Golf three vehicle with six passengers rammed into a trailer load of goats and local chickens that fell across the Kaduna-Abuja road in Gonigora, Kaduna, killing eight travellers, while several others sustained various degrees of injuries on Monday night.
However, the livestock survived the crash as they were seen roaming the road freely.
According to one of the injured persons, who spoke to DAILY POST, “the golf three vehicle was over speeding. His headlights were not bright, as he was with full speed. The time he discovered that a trailer fell across the road, it was already too late.”
The dead persons were evacuated to a morgue, while the injured were taken to hospital for treatment.
The Kaduna State Sector Commander of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) did not pick his calls, just as he did not respond to text messages sent to him.
Source – Daily Post