Two APC Presidential Aspirants Withdraw + UK Issues Strong Statement Over Sokoto Murder

2 APC Presidential Aspirants Withdraw
Two aspirants in the ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) running for Presidency have withdrawn their ambitions.

The Minister of Labour, Chris Ngige and Gbenga Olawepo-Hashim have bowed out of the 2023 presidential contest.


According to a report by the Nation, Hashim noted that the decision emanated from series of consultations and reflections on current developments in the political scene.
In a statement by his media office in Abuja on Friday, Olawepo-Hashim explained: “Certain developments have necessitated my withdrawal from the 2023 presidential race, as a result of which I did not pick the nomination form.
“Retreating is not for the lack of willpower to fight for our resolve and collective aspiration for a New Nigeria, a struggle which has attracted enormous support.
Sometimes WILL and RESOLVE, Energy and Preparation may not be enough to engage in an encounter.”

According to a report by TVC, Ngige announced today, that he had an audience with the President, Muhammadu Buhari.

He added that it was on the premise of that meeting that he is announcing the withdrawal of his interest and earlier decision to contest the office of the President in the 2023 general elections.

Ngige added that he has since communicated this decision to the President and the Secretary to the Government of the Federation.
Recall he had earlier refused to resign with his colleagues after the President gave the order for all serving government appointees with political ambitions to resign.
Ngige had mentioned that he would consult with his immediate constituency first before his resignation would be turned in.

With this development, he will remain as the Minister of labour, his current appointment.
Source: The Nation, TVC News

2023: Tinubu Won’t Get Automatic Ticket If He Joins Us – SDP
The Social Democratic Party (SDP) says no automatic ticket for All Progressives Congress (APC) chieftain, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and other aspirants who may be willing to contest for elective positions on the party’s platform.

The Acting National Chairman of SDP, Chief Supo Shonibare, who stated this at a news conference in Abuja on Thursday, however, said the party would provide succor for aggrieved aspirants from other parties.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that there were speculations that the APC chieftain might likely defect to SPD if he failed to pick the APC presidential ticket.

Shonibare said while those who felt cheated in other political parties could come and join the SDP to pursue their political ambitions in 2023, they should be ready to submit themselves to stringent conditions.

He also clarified that the APC chieftain was not a registered member of the SDP.

“On the issue of Asiwaju Tinubu, the last time I checked, he was not a member of the SDP. I checked on the list because the membership list of our party as INEC has required, has already been submitted by our state chapters to us in Abuja.

“His name is not among those who are members of our party in Lagos State. That’s all I can say, he’s not a member of SDP,” he said.

He, however, said that Tinubu or any other aspirant from other registered political parties interested to join the party was welcome.

“Yes, we welcome anyone who felt cheated by other political parties but must be consistent with integrity.

“If he (Tinubu) comes, it won’t be automatic, what we would emphasize is consistency with integrity within the public officer.

“Also anyone who is controversial, rated low or with baggage, who doesn’t have integrity will not be allowed. SDP leadership does not want the party to be an opportunistic vehicle,” he said.
Source: DailyTrust

UK Issues Strong Statement Over Murder Of Sokoto Christian Girl
British high commissioner to Nigeria, Catriona Laing, has condemned the killing of Deborah Samuel, a female Christian student of Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto state by a mob in the state over alleged blasphemy.


Laing who reacted to the killing via a tweet shared on Friday, May 13, said those who killed the Christian student must be made to face justice in line with the law.
She said;

I condemn the murder of Deborah Samuel in Sokoto and urge the police and relevant authorities to ensure the perpetrators of this horrific act are made to face justice in line with the law.
Blasphemy: Those who killed Christian student Deborah Samuel in Sokoto must be made to face justice in line with the law – British High Commissioner
Source: LIB