At least 8 killed in Mogadishu by suicide bomb targeting government convoy
A suicide car bomb targeting a government convoy exploded at a busy junction in Somalia’s capital on Saturday, killing at least eight people, an eyewitness told Reuters.
Abdiasis Abu Musab, military operations spokesperson for the al-Qaida-linked militant group al-Shabaab, told Reuters it was responsible for Saturday’s attack. The group, which wants to overthrow the government and impose its strict interpretation of Islamic sharia law, frequently carries out such bombings.
The convoy was carrying senior police official Farhan Qarole, who survived the attack, the Somali government news agency reported.
“I have seen eight dead bodies at the scene including a woman,” Hassan Sayid Ali, a driver of a three-wheeled motorised vehicle taxi, told Reuters at the scene of the blast at Banadir junction in Mogadishu.
Source – Reuters
Stolen Benin Artefacts Tear Obaseki, Oba Of Benin Apart
A cold war is brewing between Governor Godwin Obaseki and Oba of Benin, Ewuare II.
This is a result of some artefacts stolen from Benin Kingdom during the British invasion in 1897.
Efforts are being made to return the stolen items to the country but Obaseki and the monarch have different ideas on how the stolen items should be kept.
While the monarch wants the items to be returned to the palace, Obaseki wants them kept at a museum that he is planning to build.
Last month, Obaseki held a meeting with Professor Ibrahim Gambari, Chief of Staff to the President, on the return of artefacts and his government’s intention to build a museum in Benin in collaboration with federal government.
But at a press briefing on Friday, Oba Ewuare II insisted that the right and only legitimate destination of the about-to-be-repatriated artefacts was the Benin Royal Museum.
“I have called this meeting today to intimate you of the matter of the Benin artefacts in Europe on the verge of being repatriated, which I am sure you have heard and read about in recent weeks.”
“You may also have heard about the recent activities of a group of individuals who incorporated a company since January 2020 called Legacy Restoration Trust Limited.
“It has become germane to note that the advocacy and demands for the return of the artefacts looted from the Benin Kingdom in 1897 have been going on for decades before the emergence of the incumbent Governor of Edo State, Mr Godwin Obaseki. I must sincerely thank the governor for joining the struggle and showing commitment to retrieve our stolen cultural heritage from Europe.
“While anticipating the return of the looted artefacts from Europe, I want to note that attempts to divert the destination or the right of custody of the artefacts is not in the interest of the people of Benin Kingdom, to whom the Palace of the Oba of Benin provides leadership. The looted artefacts awaiting repatriation from Europe are the cultural heritage of the Benin Kingdom created by our ancestors and forefathers within the traditional norms and rites of the kingdom.