Good evening, Here are the major news headlines for Wednesday, July 29, 2020.
Gunmen Attack Village In Kogi, Kill 14
Tragedy struck again in Kogi State following the killing of 14 persons in Agudu, Bassa community in Kogi Local Government Area by unknown gunmen.
It was reliably gathered that the incident happened in the early hours of Wednesday as many residents injured have since been receiving treatment at the hospital.
Kogi Commissioner of Police Ede Ayuba confirmed this to reporters, He added another person was also killed while six persons who sustained varying degree of injuries were evacuated to medical facilities. The CP, who added on receiving the distress call, he immediately moved to the scene, however said the bandits had left the scene before their arrival.
BREAKING: FG Fixes Date For NECO, NABTEB Examinations
The Nigerian Government has fixed the examination date for the National Examination Council (NECO) and the National Business and Technical Examination Board (NABTEB).
In a statement on Wednesday by the Director of Press and Public Relations, the Federal Ministry of Education, Ben Goong, NECO will commence on October 5 and end on November 18, 2020, while NABTEB will start on September 21 and end by October 15, 2020.
He said the Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajuiba, announced the dates at the end of a two-day meeting with Chief Executives of examination bodies in the country.
Man Beats Pregnant Wife To Death In Ondo
A 47 year old man, Olabode Oluwaseun has allegedly beaten his pregnant wife, Blessing, to death. Olabode was said to have hit his late wife on the abdomen which led to her death and the death of her unborn child.
The accused who was arraigned on a one-count charge before an Akure Magistrate Court was brought to court by men of the Ondo State Police Command.
He was alleged to have committed the crime on the 3rd of April at number 56 Oke-Agba area, Akure by hitting her right side of the abdomen resulting to the death of the unborn child and the mother.
Gov. Sanwo-Olu Asks To Meet Boy In ‘calm down’ Viral Video
Lagos Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has expressed willingness to meet the unidentified boy in a viral video, asking his mother to ‘calm down’ as she attempts to beat him over an offence.
In the video, the boy is seen appealing to his mother to “calm down and rest a little,” evoking laughter from social media users. He also tells his mother to pardon him, saying “this is my last chance,” a phrase that provokes further laughter.
In his Sallah message to Lagosians, the Governor on his official twitter handle @jidesanwoolu said he was inspired by the video “because of the deeper meaning it conveys,” urging residents to “calm down.”
Ex-Minister, Innocent Nwoga Dies At 85
An elder statesman and former Minister of Establishments in the Gen. Ibrahim Babangida (Rtd) regime, Chief Innocent Diala Nwoga is dead.
Nwoga who hailed from Ekwerazu Mbaise in Imo State died at the age of 85.
Announcing his demise yesterday, the Alaigbo Development Foundation (ADF) where he was a member of Board of Trustees (BOT) until death described him as a consummate and seasoned Administrator, who began his Civil Service career as a Divisional Officer in the defunct Eastern Region.
Babcock student Sex Tape: Girl in the video gets international scholarship
The female student of Babcock University who went viral last year after appearing in a sex tape, has been offered an international scholarship.
If you recall, the student was expelled by the managemnet of the school after a video showing her and an ex-student of the school having sex surfaced on the internet.
According to a Nigerian medical doctor, Dr Ola Brown who took interest in the case after her expulsion from Babcock University, her scholarship in a foreign country has been fully paid.