Insecurity: Buhari urges security agencies to remain resolute
President Muhammadu Buhari has urged the military and other security agencies to remain resolute in tackling the security challenges bedeviling the country. Buhari said this at the Regimental Dinner organised in his honour on Tuesday night in Abuja as part of the activities lined up for the May 29 inauguration ceremony.
The president, while acknowledging the efforts of the military in the ongoing war against terrorism, banditry and oil theft among other challenges, said the military must not rest on its oars until insecurity was defeated. He said the inauguration of the Armed Officers’ Mess was a right step in line with this policy.
According to him, the regimental dinner organised for him to mark the end of tenure is very significant because it presents him with another opportunity to reflect positively on the past, present, and future of our armed forces. “Please permit me to appreciate our military for their loyalty, handwork, dedication, and selfless service to our beloved nation. “I am fully aware of all your sacrifices and commitments in tackling the myriad of security challenges and your contributions to the successful elections in our country. ” However, until the issue of insecurity is surmounted much more is still desired from the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
“Consequently, the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies must always remain resolute in the face of the country’s insecurity challenges. “Our administration before winding down will never relent to widen the support of the military to enable them to effectively perform their constitutional responsibilities. “The ultimate sacrifice of our fallen heroes will never be in vain and the almighty God continue to grant them eternal rest,” he said.
Among the dignitaries at the event are the Africa’s riches businessman and Chairman of Dangote Group, Alhaji Aliko Dangote, ministers, past service chiefs, heads of security and intelligence agencies, other government functionaries as well as some state governors.
Tinubu’s inauguration: Security agencies raid hot spots, Biden names US delegation
The United States President Joe Biden has announced a delegation that will attend the swearing-in of the former Lagos State Governor, Bola Tinubu as the 16th President of Nigeria at the Eagle Square, Abuja, on Monday. The White House in a late Monday statement disclosed that the nine-member US delegation would be led by the Secretary of the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, Marcia Fudge.
The announcement came as the Federal Government tightened security across the Federal Capital Territory ahead of the inauguration ceremony. Top security sources told our correspondents that security agencies had started raiding hideouts of criminals and thugs who could be used to foment trouble on the inauguration day. Against the backdrop of protests by some Nigerians dissatisfied with the election victory of the former Lagos State governor, security agencies have deployed plainclothes and intelligence operatives to contain any outbreak of violence on the day of the inauguration.
With less than a week to D-Day, law enforcement agencies have been placed on red alert as they heightened security in preparation for the event which is expected to attract no fewer than 65 Heads of State, diplomats, other representatives of foreign governments and heads of international organizations and prominent Nigerians. The PUNCH gathered on Tuesday that security agencies including the elite Presidential Guards Brigade, the police, Department of State Services operatives and men of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps had been given strict orders about their responsibilities in terms of general security, and protection of dignitaries.
It was gathered that more undercover and intelligence operatives had been dispatched to different parts of the city, including dark and vulnerable spots to ensure hitch-free activities. A security source stated, ‘’We have been carrying out confidence-building and visibility patrols. By Friday, Eagle Square would be shut down. Because of the influx of people in Abuja, we have been combing and monitoring areas, including drinking joints and clubs.
‘’We do 24-hour patrols now. We have more men in plain clothes on duty. The security agencies are also raiding black points and any suspects found there will be arrested and cautioned.” A senior officer disclosed that the ongoing operation was an inter-agency security collaboration to ensure that the inauguration recorded no incident. “We have been ordered to ensure that security around Abuja is tight. We would be doing this alongside other security agencies. Some of us have been stationed at key points of entry into the FCT.
‘’Others would be in charge of traffic control and ensure there is no movement of vehicles in the restricted areas. You would soon be seeing patrol vehicles more often now.’’ When contacted on the security preparation for the inauguration, the Force Public Relations Officer, CSP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, referred to a recent warning by the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, against aggrieved political actors and other individuals attempting to scuttle the swearing-in ceremony.
The PUNCH reports that the IG gave the warning on May 15, during a press briefing at the Force Headquarters, Louis Edet House, Abuja. The warning followed alleged utterances of some political actors and their alleged attempts at inciting the public to protest and cause national tension ahead of the May 29 inauguration ceremony. The IG noted that adequate personnel and equipment had been deployed by the police for the activities leading to the ceremony, and also the D-Day.