Plateau killings: 125 buried; police recover 117 bodies
No fewer than 125 dead bodies were recovered and given mass burial in the past three days, Mwaghavul Development Association (MDA), a socio-cultural organisation in Mangu Local Government Area of Plateau State, has said.
The organisation consequently raised the alarm over the spate of killings in the state by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen. This is as the Plateau State Police Command declared that a total of 117 bodies had been recovered. Addressing newsmen in Jos, Plateau State, the National President of the Mwaghavul Development Association, Sir, Joseph Gwankat, said apart from the two communities- Fungzai and Kubwat that were initially attacked in the early hours of Tuesday, many other communities and villages also suffered the same fate with many inhabitants killed.
He said those displaced as a result of the attack were going through a harrowing period as they were lacking food and other amenities. He noted that more than 20,000 people were displaced and are currently taking refuge at the local government secretariat, churches and traditional rulers’ palaces. “It may interest you to know that since the attack on our communities started on Tuesday, the government has not visited those places attacked by gunmen. Those they have seen were people displaced and roaming around for succour. The local government and the Mwaghavul Development Association cannot handle the situation alone.
“By our estimation, more than 20,000 people have been displaced, though we have yet to take inventory but within three days we had buried 125 people and we are still counting. There are more corpses still floating in ponds that we cannot even access, many are dumped in wells.” Continuing, he said: “The attack was unprovoked like the one that happened in the early hours of Tuesday. I also want to correct the erroneous impression that it was a clash. It was not a clash but an attack on innocent people. The word unknown gunmen should be discarded because there is no way an attack will take place for one week and the security men will tell us that they are unknown,” he said.
He, therefore, called on the government to take immediate steps to facilitate the return of all persons displaced and now in different IDPs’ camps by reconstructing their homes and providing security for them as well. Gwankat noted that the government should take full responsibility of educating the children below the age of 10 who have lost both their parents as a result of the attack while arrangements should be made for those in SS3 whose WAEC examinations were disrupted as result of the attacks.
Source: The Nation
May 29: Corrupt governors, other politicians planning to flee Nigeria – EFCC alerts
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has alerted the general public of the alleged move by some governors and other politicians accused of corruption to flee the country ahead of the May 29 handover. EFCC spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren raised the alarm in a statement issued on Friday night.
The commission said it is currently collaborating with its international partners to ensure that the plans are frustrated. The commission vowed that all political actors involved in corruption while in public office must be brought to justice.
The statement reads partly, “Again, the Commission wishes to alert the public about plans by some of the alleged corrupt politically exposed persons to flee the country ahead of May 29.
“The Commission is working in close collaboration with its international partners to frustrate these escape plans and bring those involved to justice.”
BREAKING: EFCC reacts to $2 Million Bribery Allegation against Bawa, reveals next move
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has dared Governor of Zamfara State, Bello Matawalle, to provide proof of his bribery claim against the chairman of the Commission. Matawalle had accused the EFCC Chairman, Abdulrasheed Bawa, of demanding $2 million bribe from him.
He said: “It is not just to always blame governors. It is not only governors who have treasury, the federal government also has. What does the EFCC boss do to them? As he is claiming he has evidence on governors, let him show to the world evidence of those at the federal level.
“If he exits office, people will surely know he is not an honest person. I have evidence against him. Let him vacate office, I am telling you within 10 seconds probably more than 200 people will bring evidences of bribe he collected from them. He knows what he requested from me but I declined. “He requested a bribe of $2 million from me and I have evidence of this. He knows the house we met, he invited me and told me the conditions. He told me governors were going to his office but I did not. If I don’t have evidence, I won’t say this.”
Meanwhile, prior his revealation, Matawalle had in a statement on Wednesday, called for Bawa’s resignation, saying he had proof of his corrupt acts. However, in a statement by the EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, on Friday night, the Commission said it will not be drawn into a “mud fight with a suspect under its investigation for corruption and unconscionable pillage of the resources
“If Matawalle will be taken seriously, he should go beyond sabre-rattling by spilling the beans – provide concrete evidence as proof of his allegations.” Uwujaren said the Commission wishes to alert the public about plans by some alleged corrupt politically exposed persons to flee the country ahead of May 29.
He added that the Commission was working in close collaboration with its international partners to frustrate these escape plans and bring those involved to justice.
Source: Politics Nigeria