INEC Warns On Fake Ad Hoc Staff Recruitment Portal
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has cautioned Nigerians against a purported portal for the recruitment of ad hoc staff for the 2023 general elections. This was contained in a statement issued Tuesday in Abuja, by Mr Rotimi Oyekanmi, chief press secretary to INEC chairman, Prof. Mahmood Yakubu.
INEC had on September 7, 2022, announced that its official recruitment portal for the 2023 general elections (www.pres.inecnigeria.org) would be opened to the public on Wednesday, September 14, 2022, by 8 am and would be closed on Wednesday, 14 December 2022, by 8 pm.
Oyekanmi, however, said the portal currently in circulation was fake as the commission was no longer recruiting for the elections since its official website for recruitment had been shut down. He said, “The website/blog below is advertising ad hoc staff positions for the 2023 general elections. However, the commission is no longer recruiting ad hoc staff for the 2023 general elections.
“The INEC ad hoc staff recruitment portal was officially shut down on December 14, 2022.”
Kogi Explosion Was Targeted At Buhari – ISWAP Terrorists Claim Responsibility For Attack
The Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) has claimed responsibility for the recent explosion in Kogi State. According to the Islamic State-backed faction of Boko Haram, the explosion was targeted at President Muhammadu Buhari, who was expected in the area that day.
Naija News had earlier reported that there was an explosion close to the old palace of the Ohinoyi of Ebiraland which left three persons dead and two others injured. President Buhari was expected to inaugurate some legacy projects by Governor Yahaya Bello on Thursday, December 29, before the explosion was heard before the Nigerian leader’s arrival.
Despite the tension President Buhari arrived in the state and went on with the project commissioning. A statement, however, reportedly released by ISWAP in the new year said the attack was carried out by “soldiers of the caliphate.” The terror group claimed in the statement sighted on SaharaReporters, that a car bomb was used and its target was the President who was visiting the area.
Naija News understands that it was not the first time the terrorist group was claiming responsibility for attacks in Kogi State. Some recent attacks claimed by the ISWAP terrorists in Kogi include an explosion on May 11 at a bar in the Lewu Junction area of Kabba town. It could be recalled that the explosion claimed three lives, but 16 persons were affected.
Subsequently, another explosion happened at a bar in the town, in Kabbah-Bunu Local Government Area. Also in June 2022, the terrorists claimed responsibility for the explosion that led to the death of two persons during an annual festival in the Idoji area of Okene in Kogi. The group also said it was responsible for the attack on two Nigerian government vehicles in the Adavi Local Government Area of Kogi State a few days later. Subsequently, on October 18, the group said its fighters invaded a Celestial Church, Blood of Jesus Parish in Lokoja, the capital of Kogi State, killing two persons and injuring several others.
Source: Naija News
Oscar-nominated screenwriter, Frank Galati dies at 79
Frank Galati, the Tony Award-winning director, writer, and actor who helped transform Chicago theatre, has died at the age of 79. His passing was announced by his husband Peter Amster but the cause of death was not shared, according to The Chicago Tribune.
The Hollywood veteran had success in 1988 when he adapted the book The Accidental Tourist for the screen with William Hurt, Kathleen Turner and Geena Davis starring. The Chicago native was nominated for an Academy Award for his efforts. But Galati was best known for his work on Broadway as he won a Tony Award in 1990 for his stage adaptation of Grapes Of Wrath starring actor Gary Sinise.
He was also Tony-nominated for best director for “Ragtime” in 1998 and was nominated for an Academy Award with Lawrence Kasdan for best screenplay for “The Accidental Tourist” in 1989. His long list of works in Chicago also included productions of “The Drawer Boy,” in which he starred opposite John Mahoney in 2001, and “The Tempest,” a 2009 production in which Mr. Galati delivered an unforgettable performance as Prospero, the world-premiere stage adaptation of “Kafka on the Shore,” “East of Eden” and Haruki Murakami’s “after the quake” at Steppenwolf as well as “The Winter’s Tale,” “The Visit” and “Cry, the Beloved Country” at the Goodman.
In a joint statement, Steppenwolf’s co-artistic directors Glenn Davis and Audrey Francis paid tribute to Mr. Galati: “Frank had a profound impact on Steppenwolf, and all of us, over the years. For some, he was a teacher, mentor, director, adaptor, writer, fellow actor, and visionary. Regardless of the relationship, Frank always made others feel cared for, valued, and inspired in his ever-generous, joyful, and compassionate presence.”
Mr. Galati was also known for his work in opera, directing productions of “La Traviata” and “Tosca” at Lyric Opera of Chicago and “A View from the Bridge” at both the Lyric and The Metropolitan Opera in New York. Frank Joseph Galati Jr. was born on Nov. 29, 1943, in Highland Park. He graduated from Glenbrook High School in 1961 and went on to attend Western Illinois University and Northwestern University, where he got his master’s degree and a doctorate in speech.