UCL: Liverpool in Istanbul repeat as Reds complete Miraculous Comeback over Messi’s Barca to reach Final

Liverpool completed one of the greatest comebacks of the champions league history as they came back from a 3-0 first-leg deficit to beat Barcelona 4-0 at Anfield and 4-3 on the aggregate to qualify for the final of the competition for a successive season.  Braces from Divock Origi and Gini Wijnaldum secured a famous victory for the Reds on a special night at Anfield.

Liverpool went into the game without Mo Salah and Roberto Firmino who were both ruled out of the due to concussion and muscle strain respectively. Xhedarn Shaqiri and Divock were their replacements and it was a decision that paid off.

The Belgian put the Reds ahead after Mane pounced on a terrible header from Jordi Alba before teeing up Jordan Henderson who wriggled past a couple of defenders to fire a shot which was saved by Ter Stegen only for Divock Origi to pounce on the rebound to send the Anfield faithful into raptures.

With the early goal, Liverpool kept on charging forward and could have had a penalty after Mane went down inside the box, but Turkish referee waved off the appeals. However, it was Barcelona who will dominate proceedings further and they almost drew level through the star of first leg Lionel Messi.

The La Liga champions caught Liverpool on the break as Jordi Alba found Lionel Messi with a fine cutback but the Argentina international shot was tipped over the bar. Former Liverpool star Phillippe Coutinho was the next Barcelona to test Liverpool goalkeeper as the La Liga champions got into their groove.

It was Lionel Messi who was in the thick of the action as he floats through the middle of the park before finding Philippe Coutinho on his left whose low shot was saved by Alisson.


Nevertheless, despite Barcelona dominating possession, the Anfield crowd kept on urging their team and they almost got a second against the run of play. Virgil Van Dijk played a perfect long ball to Sadio Mane whose low cross found Andy Robertson but his shot was perfectly parried away my Ter Stegen.


The two kept on playing at a frantic pace while Suarez who was given a hostile reception on his return to Anfield was constantly getting involved with Van Dijk. However, it was until the final minute of the first half before there was any real chance again.

Barcelona once again hit the Kop on the break as Lionel Messi played a dream of a ball into the path of left-back Jordi Alba, who’s one on one with Alisson but the big Brazilian saved once again.

It was the last piece of the action in the half as Liverpool went into the break with the lead.

The Second half started with the Reds taking off the injured Robertson for Gini Wijnaldum. However, that didn’t affect their rhythm as they attacked towards the Kop end and they started on the front foot winning a corner kick straight from kick-off, but they couldn’t make it count as Barcelona defended well.

They kept on putting pressure on Barca’s defence and were almost caught out as Mane was played through, but a fine recovery tackle from Gerard Pique prevented the goal. Barcelona almost got the equalizer who was found by Lionel Messi, but his shot was saved once again by Alisson.

However, few minutes later Anfield was rocking again as Gini Wijnaldum put Liverpool two goals up. Trent Alexander-Arnold runs down the right, to pick out the half-time sub Gini Wijnaldum whose low shot goes straight through Marc-Andre Ter Stegen.


Minutes later, Liverpool levelled the aggregate scores through Gini Wijnaldum once again. Xherdan Shaqiri bends in a fine ball from the left and the Netherlands international climbs high to steer a superb header right into the top corner and send Anfield into the delirium.

Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde tried to salvage the situation by taking off Philippe Coutinho for Nelson Semedo and it brought a little bit of stability to the Spanish side’s play.  They almost got a vital away goal as a long ball fell into Messi’s path but Alisson once again kept the five-time Ballon d’Or winner at bay.


There was to be more drama and it was Liverpool who completed the comeback as through Divock Origi. The Belgian international got on the end of a Trent Alexander Arnold corner to fire home from close range and put the Reds in the lead for the first time in the tie.

With Barcelona staring at an exit in dramatic circumstances for the second season running, the La Liga champions pushed forward but the Reds defence withstood all kinds of pressure from the Barcelona attack to reach their successive final on a famous night at Anfield.