Strange but true, Doctors in India have successfully removed thirty-three sharp objects from a man’s stomach.
Yogesh Thakur, 30, was admitted to the hospital on the 14th of July after he complained of severe stomach ache, his mother told doctors that her son would ‘grab anything and eat’ which made the doctors to conduct X-ray on him.
To the utmost shock of the doctors, they found several sharp objects inside him, including Knife, screwdriver, razor blade and plastic items inside Thakur’s stomach.
Two days after the surprising discovery, doctors operated him, removing a total of 33 sharp objects from him.
Thakur who is a part-time farmer had a successful operation which he’s now gradually recovering from, and he will also be receiving Psychiatric treatment, as doctors resort to the fact he has some measure of mental deformity and anomaly.
According to the doctor’s analysis, it is believed that he must be suffering from Acuphagia, a mental kind of disorder that makes people who eat sharp, metal and other objects which they can’t digest.
Acuphagia is described as a disorder that makes people eat sharp metal objects and is known as a kind of pica. Pica is known to be eating non-nutritive, non-food items in people with or without mental disorders.
Pica is commonly found among pregnant women, small children and those with psychiatric disorders (developmental disorders, autism spectrum disorder, and even schizophrenia). Medical experts said this disorder can be sometimes a feature of psychosis induced by hallucinogenic drugs.
Medical researchers also believe that difficulty in digesting foods such as iron, zinc, calcium, and magnesium may lead to pica. However, the disorder can also be simulated by several other factors, including poverty, cultural practice, isolation, neglect and loneliness.
Acuphagia or metal-eating habit was known to be rare in adult populations, but in the last decade, a large number of case studies from around the world have been published.
Medical researchers resolved that Acuphagia, which seems to be very rare in adult populations, can be very deadly in some cases, which may lead to emergency conditions, such as intestinal obstruction, perforation, peritonitis, bleeding, acute weight loss, poisoning, and even death.
If you have or know anyone with such disorder, do not stigmatise, all they need is medical attention, and they would be fine.
Leave your comments below…