EXCLUSIVE: How Fulani Bandits Coordinated Attacks On Oyo Correctional Facility To Free Warlord Wakili, Other Criminal Herdsmen In Detention
The attack on the Abolongo correctional facility, Oyo town in Oyo State was planned and carried out by Fulani gunmen, believed also to be invading bandits, SaharaReporters has learnt.
Top prison officials told SaharaReporters on Saturday that the gunmen carried out the attack to free the detained notorious Fulani warlord, Iskilu Wakili and other criminal Fulani herdsmen in the facility.
SaharaReporters, however, reported that hundreds of inmates used the opportunity of the attack which was carried out around 10pm on Friday, to escape from the facility.
Sources told SaharaReporters that the gunmen, three days before the Friday invasion, struck in Ogbomoso, a neighbouring town to Oyo, and the security operatives were fully aware of their presence in the area.
“The attack in Oyo last night from the Ogbomosho axis was a well-coordinated Fulani attack aimed at securing the release of Wakili, the terrorist whom (Sunday Adeyemo) Igboho drove away from Ibarapa. I am informed by my staff and very reliable people that he was the object of that attack last night at about 10pm,” one of the top source said.
“The rest was just drama. My security staff told me the gunmen struck three days ago on the Oyo-Ogbomosho Road and around that time, their strange faces were also seen around an area the boys described to me. This was a well-coordinated attack with the objective to free Wakili and other Fulani inmates,” he added.
SaharaReporters had earlier reported that the entrance to the prison was blown with an explosive device while security officials at the prison fled for their safety.
Speaking with SaharaReporters on phone, the spokesman of the NCS, Olanrewaju Anjorin, had said; “Yes. It has been confirmed that the attack actually happened. And right now, the Comptroller of Nigerian Correctional Service (NCS) and other top officers are assessing the situation. But I can confirm to you that the incident actually happened.”
On March 7, a joint team of Ibarapa security operatives, including the Oodua Peoples Congress, Vigilante, and other groups had arrested the notorious Fulani warlord terrorising Oyo communities, Wakili.
Wakili had been arrested after several attempts resulting in a gun battle.
There had been reports that Wakili and his gang were involved in the killings and kidnapping of several people in Ibarapa, Oke Ogun, Oyo State.
Wakili was nabbed barely seven days after his second-in-command, Isiaka Muhammadu, was arrested alongside four others.
The Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, Gani Adams, had confirmed Wakili’s arrest in a statement.
On June 7, no fewer than 17 persons were reportedly shot dead by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen at Igangan, in the Ibarapa North LGA.
Residents had said the hoodlums invaded the town on motorcycles around 11pm in an attack which continued until around 3am on Sunday.
They had fingered Wakili’s men on a revenge mission to be behind the attack.
At daybreak, residents reportedly saw corpses of children and adults littered some places in the town, while houses and vehicles, including a truck loaded with cassava flour, were razed by the attackers.
The Convener, Igangan Development Advocates, Oladiran Oladokun, had said the gunmen set fire to houses to drive out the people, after which they opened fire on them.
He said the government did not take the security seriously, adding that they had reported that the herdsmen were planning to attack them.
Source – Sahara Reporters
IPOB: We shall insist on media presence during next hearing, Nnamdi Kanu’s lawyer vows
Ifeanyi Ejiofor, lead counsel to the embattled leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, Nnamdi Kanu, has vowed that there would be media presence in the courtroom during the hearing of the IPOB leader’s case.
He said this while reacting to the allegations against Nnamdi Kanu by the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN).
The PUNCH had reported that security agents barred lawyers, journalists and Igbo leaders from the trial of Nnamdi on Thursday.
In a Facebook post, the lawyer accused the minister of engaging in media propaganda.
Ejiofor explained that it was important for media to witness the proceedings to avoid false narrative being spread.
The Federal Government had blamed Kanu for the murder of Dr Chike Akunyili, the husband of a former Director-General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control, the late Prof Dora Akunyili.
The government further accused him of being responsible for the murder of a former presidential aide, Ahmad Gulak, and over 184 others in the South-East.
This is according to a committee set up by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to investigate Kanu, who is standing trial for treasonable felony.
The 24-member comprised members from the Federal Ministry of Justice, the Federal Ministry of Information, the Nigeria Police Force, the Department of State Services, the National Intelligence Agency and the Defence Intelligence Agency.
The committee, headed by Malami, said consequent upon the instigating directives of Kanu, members of IPOB and the Eastern Security Network carried out massive attacks on democratic institutions, especially facilities of the Independent National Electoral Commission to hamper democratic process in Nigeria.
It said the attacks, carried out between October 2020 and June 2021, led to the killing of 175 security agents.
But Ejiofor said the legal team had responded to some of the allegations in their preliminary objection to FG’s amended charges.
He posted, “Henceforth, No Hearing will be conducted in our Client’s case without media present, we shall insist, come 10th November 2021.
Deleted: We are very much prepared and ready, waiting. IT SHALL ALL END IN COURT.
“After a robust outing of 21st October, and strong objection raised to the empty charge, the narratives changed.
Note that the media has been awashed with this false narrative right from the very first day our client was extraordinarily renditioned to Nigeria, even before the amended seven charges were filed twice.
“Their seven counts were amended twice upon being served with our Preliminary Objection. Remember that the facts they substantially relied upon in their purported amended charge, dwelt much on this speculation as you saw in their press statement.
“In all, I implore you all to remain calm, peaceful and focused, your eyes should always be on the ball, because we will demystify them only in law court. They cannot place something on nothing and expect it to stand, it must fail woefully!”
Source – Punch