Armed Robbers Allegedly Invade Aso Rock
Armed men suspected to be robbers invaded the residences of two senior aides to President Muhammadu Buhari inside the precinct of the Presidential Villa, administration officials and security sources have told Peoples Gazette, raising fears that the rising insecurity across the country was drawing closer to the elite than previously estimated.
The incident on May 9 (yesterday) prompted Ibrahim Gambari and Abubakar Maikano, the chief of staff and admin officer, respectively, to abandon their residences, sources said.
“Their houses were robbed and the robbers packed money and other valuable assets from both houses,” an aide to the informed about the robbery told The Gazette.
It was not immediately clear whether or not valuable documents of state interest were carted away by the intruders, but The Gazette heard that the residences were thoroughly ransacked.
“The robbers took away as much as possible from both places,” a security officer that confirmed the incident said. “What is more unfortunate is that no one has been arrested.”
Officials also said Mr Gambari was given an official residence at the Defence House, but has not been living there, preferring instead to live inside Aso Rock and be close to the president.
Nigeria’s presidential palace just west of the city centre has long been seen as highly fortified and far beyond the reach of burglars, bandits and other criminals currently holding the vast swathes of the country to ransom.
But as criminal activities overshadow other matters of national consequences, Mr Buhari has faced calls to act urgently before it would be too late.
Armed bandits have abducted thousands of citizens since January alone, claiming billions in ransom payments at an alarming rate.
No explanation was immediately rendered for the invasion and why it was not prevented by the ubiquitous contingent of security officers, especially those of the State Security Service, guarding the fortress.
Mr Gambari did not immediately return a request seeking comments.
A spokesman for the SSS said he would not comment on the matter and a spokeswoman for the police in Abuja abruptly disconnected the call upon hearing The Gazette’s enquiry was about a security breach at the Presidential Villa.
Source – Peoples Gazette
11 Civilians Killed In Roadside Bomb
At least 11 civilians were killed and 25 others wounded when a Taliban roadside bomb struck a passenger bus along a provincial highway in Afghanistan’s southern Zabul province Sunday night, the local government confirmed on Monday.
“The incident occurred in Shahr-e-Safa district at midnight. The provincial police and rescue teams transported the wounded to a regional hospital in Kandahar province, in the west of Zabul. The number of the casualties may change as several wounded were in critical condition,” the government said in a statement.
Some 43 people were aboard the bus when the explosion occurred, the statement said.
“The bodies were transported to a provincial hospital. The provincial police will try to contact and notify the relatives of the victims,” the statement said, blaming the Taliban for the attack.
Militants in Afghanistan have been using homemade improvised explosive devices (IEDs) to make roadside bombs and landmines targeting security forces, but the lethal weapons also inflict casualties on civilians.
More than 920 civilians were killed and over 1,640 others wounded in IED explosions last year, according to official figures.
Source – xinhuanet
Panic, Fear In South-East Nigeria As Gunmen Killed Over 19 Policemen In One Month
There is palpable fear among security operatives in the South-East as policemen and police stations have become targets for unknown gunmen.
Almost on a daily basis, the zone records cases of arson attacks on security facilities and killing of security operatives.
SaharaReporters had earlier reported that police officers deployed to the South-East states of Imo, Anambra, Abia, Ebonyi and Enugu states are currently deserting their stations and now prefer to move around in mufti, during the few times they are at work.
It was also gathered that it was increasingly difficult for the policemen to arrest suspects in neighbourhoods or keep their suspects in cells, as is the custom before cases are taken to court.
Policemen particularly those who are not Igbo indigenes, are desperately seeking redeployments amidst fear of more attacks by gunmen.
Source – Sahara Reporters
Nicki Minaj Shares New Saucy Photos As She Makes A Comeback After Social Media Hiatus
Rapper, Nicki Minaj is back on Instagram after going on a social media break following the birth of her son.
On Monday evening, the 38-year-old rapper shared these new saucy photos of herself to tease fans with the possibility of dropping a new music this weekend. Posting the images, the rapper simply wrote: “F R I D A Y.”
Source – Linda Ikeji
“Top Bandits’ Commanders Killed In North West” – Army
The Nigerian army has announced that many bandits’ commanders and over 48 members of their gangs have been killed in North West region of the country.
According to the Director of Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Mohammed Yerima, troops of 8 Division operating in Zamfara and adjoining states had earlier launched “Operation Tsare Mutane” following the directives of the Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru for stabilization of security situation in the zone to facilitate the return of socio-economic activities.
Source – Lailas News
52 Yahoo Yahoo Boys Nabbed In Benin
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested 52 Yahoo Yahoo boys in Benin on Sunday night.
The EFCC Benin Zonal Office disclosed the suspects were arrested late Sunday night.
According to the Media and Publicity Head of the Commission, Wilson Uwujaren, he stated that the suspects were arrested in different areas in Benin City.
Source – Wuzup Nigeria
Notorious Rapist Arrested For Defiling Minor In Sokoto
A 30-year-old alleged serial rapist identified as Hamza Yusuf has been arrested by operatives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) in Sokoto.
The state Commandant of the NSCDC in Sokoto, Umar Musa-Bala, told newsmen on Monday, May 10, that the alleged suspect defiled three minors.
“We received a distress call that, a serial rapist was arrested and was about to be lynched in Mabera area. We swiftly swung into action and rescued him from a mob who wanted to kill him and brought him to our office.
We were able to identify three of his victims who are all below the age of 10 and medical investigation proved defilement beyond the reasonable doubt,” Musa-Bala said
The NSCDC boss added that the suspect would be released on bail because of the ongoing strike by the Judicial Staff Union of Nigeria.
Source – Tori NG