BIG STORIES NOW

Muslim-Muslim ticket: Shettima should step down – M’Belt Congress

A pan-North Central socio-political organisation under the aegis of Middle Belt Congress has demanded that the former governor of Borno State, Kashim Shettima should step down as the All Progressives Congress vice-presidential candidate.

His resignation, the organisation believed, would potentially save the APC from impending electoral misfortune in the 2023 elections. The President of MBC, Mohammed Bilal, who made the plea during a press conference in Abuja, said the national acceptance of the APC had dwindled following Shettima’s nomination.

According to him, by picking a fellow Muslim to run alongside another Muslim (Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu), the APC displayed a religious insensitivity to the plurality of the nation.

The MBC, therefore, appealed to Shettima to “act in honour by resigning his nomination as the vice presidential candidate of the APC in the interest of peace and tranquillity and to salvage whatever is left of the APC in the build-up to the 2023 presidential elections.”

“It remains inexcusable, and the Middle Belt Congress is tempted to believe that Senator Kashim Shettima might have forced himself on the APC presidential candidate without recourse to the far-reaching implication such a move would have on the polity”, the organization reasoned.

While describing Shettima as a friend of the Christian community in Nigeria, Bilal said it was disappointing that he went ahead to be a part of a Muslim-Muslim ticket in the face of religious and ethnic tension.

He said, “The Muslim-Muslim ticket of the APC indeed comes with its attendant political baggage. If the APC as a party is desirous of making any meaningful impact in the 2023 presidential elections, in that case, it behoves the party to retrace its steps in the composition of its presidential ticket.

 

Source: Punch

 

 

Owo Church attack: Military arrests two more suspects

Two more high profile members of the Islamic State of West African Province (ISWAP) linked with the deadly attack on worshippers in Owo, Ondo State have been arrested, the military disclosed on Thursday. The suspects, Al-Qasim Idris and Abdulhaleem Idris, were apprehended at Omialafara (Omulafa) in Ose Council Area of Ondo State.

Bandits attacked the St.Francis Catholic during Sunday Mass on June 5, resulting in the death of about 30 worshippers. The Director Defence Information, Major General Jimmy Akpor, in a statement, noted that one of the suspects, Abdulhaleem, alongside other high profile ISWAP Commanders “had also previously coordinated attacks on military targets in Okene, Okene LGA, Kogi State resulting in casualties”.

According to the statement: “Recall that the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor, during his parley with media executives and editors yesterday, Tuesday 9 August 2022, informed of the arrest of 4 terrorists among those who carried out the attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo on 5 June 2022.

“They were arrested through a combined operation by military and DSS personnel at Eika, Okehi LGA, Kogi State on 1 August 2022. Those arrested include Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza (a.k.a Bin Malik), Momoh Otohu Abubakar, Aliyu Yusuf Itopa and Auwal Ishaq Onimisi.

“Barely few hours after the disclosure by the CDS of the arrest of four of the Owo Catholic Church attackers, 2 additional ISWAP terrorists, who were also connected to the attack on the church were apprehended at Omialafara (Omulafa), Ose LGA, Ondo State yesterday, 9 August 2022.

“The arrests were made through the collaborative effort by military and DSS personnel. The suspects are Al-Qasim Idris and Abdulhaleem Idris. It is instructive to note that Abdulhaleem, alongside other high profile ISWAP commanders, had also previously coordinated attacks on military targets in Okene, Okene LGA, Kogi State resulting in casualties.”

 

Source: The Nation