BIGGEST NEWS TODAY

Even Northerners Will Thank You For Impeaching Buhari – Aisha Yesufu Tells National Assembly Over Abductions On Kaduna-Abuja Highway

Human rights’ activist, Aisha Yesufu, has said it was time for the National Assembly to impeach President Muhammadu Buhari. Yesufu, a co-convener of the BringBackOurGirls Movement, was reacting to Sunday’s latest incident of abductions and killings on the Abuja-Kaduna Highway.

She wrote, “Since I heard this news of the attack and killings on Abuja-Kaduna expressway, I have not been able to do anything and I have so many deadlines to meet,” Yesufu wrote on Twitter.

“What is the National Assembly doing? Impeach Buhari! The Northern people will thank you for it! They are sick and tired of the heartless and soulless posing as Commander-in-chief.”

The Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai also reacted to the attacks by bandits on the Kaduna-Abuja highway, where several people were kidnapped on Sunday.

The governor spoke on Monday through the state’s Commissioner for Internal Security, Samuel Aruwan.

He confirmed that the bandits killed one person and abducted a number of travellers during the attack.

Aruwan said in a statement issued that eleven of the abducted persons had been rescued.

He also said that the victim that was killed during the attack was Famaks British School chairman and former Zamfara State governorship hopeful, Muhammad Sagir Hamidu.

The Abuja-Kaduna highway is a site of frequent bandits’ attacks.

The criminals had been contained following the murder of Emir Hassan Atto of Bungudu on September 14 by bandits, but they returned on Sunday at 2pm and operated for more than one hour.

In a video that became viral on Monday, passengers could be heard crying for help as the bandits operated.

SaharaReporters also reported on Tuesday that bandits returned the scene of the incident on Monday evening shooting at travellers.

 

Source: Sahara Reporters

 

 

31 migrants dead and 26 rescued after boat capsizes in the English Channel

At least 31 migrants have died after the boat they were in headed for the UK capsized in the English Channel.

Franck Dhersin, the mayor of the French town of Teteghem, told the television channel France 3 that dozens of people had died, adding that a further 26 people had been rescued.

“24 dead bodies have been taken out of the water as well as 26 people who were still alive,” he was quoted as saying.

The death toll has since risen again to 31.

A French coastguard official said on Wednesday afternoon that a rescue operation was underway off the coast of Calais, after a fishing boat sounded the alarm.

Responding to the fatalities, French Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin, who is heading to the scene, said: “Strong emotion in the face of the tragedy of numerous deaths due to the capsizing of a migrant boat in the English Channel.”

Meanwhile, French Prime Minister Jean Castex said: “My thoughts are with the many missing and injured, victims of criminal smugglers who exploit their distress and injury.”

The latest deaths come after a rise in Channel crossings this year. More than 25,700 people have made the dangerous journey from France to the UK so far in 2021, more than three times higher than the total in 2020.

There was an outpouring of grief from campaigners and charities at the latest tragedy, who called for answers and urgent changes to current policies – while politicians said a solution needed to be found to tackle the migrant crisis.

Enver Solomon, chief executive of the Refugee Council, said: “It’s truly heart-breaking to hear that the lives of so many ordinary people have been lost on a harrowing journey to Britain in search of safety.

 

Source: Independent