Stop Killing Igbos, Christians — Nigerians In London Protest Against Insecurity, Raids In South-East
Some Nigerians have taken to the streets of London, the United Kingdom to protest against the insecurity in the Southeast. The protesters had moved from Trafalgar Square to the Nigerian House in London to register their displeasure over the insecurity in the South-East region.
On Friday, a Facebook live video from BBC pidgin showed the Nigerians who were dressed in Igbo attire flooding the streets of London, chanting ‘Enough is enough, ‘stop killing the Igbos, stop killing the Christians’, ‘Igbos have mothers too’.
One of the protesters said, ”These are the Igbos, the ones that their youths are being killed.
“The Nigerian Army, police are in South-East killing our youths. Our parents have been maimed, our mothers have been raped, kidnapped, the Nigerian government has killed us, we are being marginalised.
“The Hausas, Fulanis, Buharists are murdering us. The police, the army have no right to be in Igbo land, they should go to the North, children are being kidnapped, the army should go there and rescue them.
“Enough is enough, they have no reason to come after us, they have refused to give us part of the national cake but we are people who strive and work hard and make a living for ourselves. They should let us be!”
President Muhammadu Buhari was scheduled to travel to London on Friday for medical checkup but a statement on Friday from the Presidency said the trip had been postponed.
Source: Sahara Reporters
Child soldiers carried out Burkina Faso massacre, says government
A massacre in northeast Burkina Faso in which more than 130 people were killed this month was carried out mostly by children between the ages of 12 and 14, the government said.
Armed assailants raided the village of Solhan on the evening of June 4, opened fire on residents and burned homes. It was the worst attack in years in an area plagued by jihadists linked to Islamic State and al Qaeda. read more
Government spokesman Ousseni Tamboura said the majority of the attackers were children, prompting condemnation from the U.N.
“We strongly condemn the recruitment of children and adolescents by non-state armed groups. This is a grave violation of their fundamental rights,” the U.N. children’s agency UNICEF said in a statement on Thursday.
A view shows damaged buildings and huts at the site of an attack in the village of Solhan, in Yagha province bordering Niger, Burkina Faso June 7, 2021. Burkina Faso Prime Minister’s Press Service/Handout via REUTERS
Despite interventions from U.N. peacekeepers and international armed forces, attacks by Islamist extremists continue unabated across West Africa’s Sahel region, including neighbouring Mali and Niger.
Local officials in Burkina Faso’s north, where jihadists control large areas, said child soldiers have been used by Islamist groups over the past year, but this month’s attack was by far the highest-profile case.
It represented a new low for the impoverished West African country that since 2018 has seen a sharp rise in attacks on civilians and soldiers.
Hundreds of people have been killed and more than 1.2 million are displaced, UNICEF said, many of whom have been forced into makeshift camps dotted across the arid north, east and centre. Over 2,200 schools have been closed – about one in ten – affecting over 300,000 children.